Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region (or have your old ones refilled). Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed.
HP recommends that you use original HP ink cartridges. XL (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. They will be able to print at least double the pages of a regular cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with XL. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular cartridges.
Check the estimated ink levels
You can check the estimated ink levels from the printer control panel and from the printer software.
A. To check the estimated ink levels from the printer control panel
– From the Home screen, touch the Ink icon (see below) to display the estimated ink levels.
B. To check the ink levels from the printer software (Windows)
– Open the HP printer software.
– In the printer software, click Estimated Ink Levels.
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable.
You’ll usually install both the black and tri-color cartridges in the HP ENVY, but you can also leave one ink cartridge carriage empty (single-cartridge mode). During single-cartridge mode, the printer can copy documents, copy photos, and print jobs from the computer.
Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP ENVY 5544 All-in-One Printer?
For your US, European and UK HP ENVY 5544 All-in-One Printer you need HP 62 Black AND HP 62 Tri-Color cartridges OR HP 62XL Black AND HP 62XL Tri-Color cartridges. There are also Combo Packs (2 cartridges in one pack) available, like the HP 62XL/62 High Yield Black and Standard Tricolor Ink Cartridges Combo Pack. Check the price of HP 62 cartridges at Amazon.com .
Try Amazon's ink selector tool to find compatible ink cartridges for your printer.
Replace the ink cartridges
Remove the old cartridge
3. Open the ink cartridge access door by placing two fingers under one or both of the small handles on the sides of the ink cartridge access door, and then lift up. ‘The ink cartridge access door is open. Close the door to continue.’ displays on the printer control panel.
4. Lightly press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull the cartridge toward you out of its slot. Set it aside for recycling.
– Remove the cartridge from the slot on the left to replace the tri-color cartridge.
– Remove the cartridge from the slot on the right to replace the black cartridge.
7. Hold the cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer, and then insert the cartridge into its slot at a slight upward angle. Make sure that the icon on the cartridge matches the icon on the slot.
– Insert the tri-color cartridge into the left slot.
– Insert the black cartridge into the right slot.
8. Repeat steps 4 through 7 for the other cartridge if needed.
Align the cartridges
– Wait for the printer to calibrate and align the ink cartridges. An alignment page prints.
– Place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass. Position it according to the engraved guides around the glass.
– Close the scanner lid, and then touch OK. The printer aligns the ink cartridges.
The alignment page did not print?
If the alignment page does not print, print an alignment page through the printer control panel:
– On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup. The Setup menu displays.
– Touch Tools, and then touch Align Printer.
An alignment page prints.