Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed. HP recommends that you use original HP ink cartridges.
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement ink cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the ink cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable. Use the ink-backup mode to operate the HP Deskjet 5150 with only one ink cartridge. The ink-backup mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the print cartridge cradle. Printing in ink-backup mode slows the printer and affects the quality of printouts. We do not recommend using a photo print cartridge for ink-backup mode.
For your US, European and UK HP Deskjet 5150 Printer you need
HP 56 Black AND HP 57 Tri-color cartridges.
There are also 2-Packs available, like the HP 56 / 57 Black and Tri-Color Original Value Pack Combo .
Quality color photos: For more vibrant colors when printing color photographs or other special documents, remove the black print cartridge and install an HP 58 Photo Ink Cartridge.
2. Load plain Letter or A4 white paper in the input tray.
7. Hold the print cartridge so that the copper strips are on the bottom and facing toward the printer, and then slide the print cartridge into the cradle as shown. Always install the tri-color print cartridge in the left side of the print cartridge cradle. Install the black OR photo print cartridge in the right side of the print cartridge cradle.
Calibrating print cartridges
The printer automatically calibrates the print cartridges after a new print cartridge is installed. You can also calibrate the print cartridges at other times to ensure optimal print quality:
– Load a stack of plain white paper in the In tray.
– Go to printer maintenance.
– Click Calibrate Printer.
– Click Calibrate, then follow the onscreen instructions.