Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed.
HP recommends that you use original HP ink cartridges. XL (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. They will be able to print at least double the pages of a regular cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with XL. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular cartridges.
You can easily check the ink supply level to determine how soon you might need to replace a cartridge. The ink supply level shows an estimate of the amount of ink remaining in the cartridges. You can check the estimated ink levels from the printer software or from the printer control panel.
To check the ink levels from the control panel
From the Control Panel home screen, which displays Copy, Scan, and Quick Forms, select Ink Levels.
Then the printer displays the current ink levels.
To check the ink levels from the Printer Software
1. Double-click the HP Deskjet 3521 series desktop icon to open the Printer Software. You can also access the Printer Software by clicking Start > All Programs > HP > HP Deskjet 3520 series > HP Deskjet 3521 series
2. In the Printer Software, click Estimated Ink Levels.
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable.
For your US HP Deskjet 3521 e-All-in-One printer you need HP 564 Black and HP 564 Cyan/Magenta/Yellow cartridges.
There are also Combo Packs (4 cartridges in one pack) available, like the HP 564XL Black 564 Color Ink Cartridges Combo Pack.
For your European or UK HP Deskjet 3521 e-All-in-One printer you need HP 364 cartridges.
There are also Combo Packs (4 cartridges in one pack) available, like the HP 364 Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow – Original Ink Cartridge Combo Content Pack – Standard Capacity.
Remove the old cartridge
3. Open the cartridge access door. Grasp the handles on either side of the cartridge access door, and then raise the door until it locks into place. The carriage moves to the access area. Wait for print carriage to move to right side of product.
Insert the new cartridge
5. Pull the orange tab to remove the plastic wrap from the new cartridge.
! Do not touch the copper-colored electrical contacts and ink port !
Make sure you remove the plastic wrap from the ink cartridge before installing it in the product, or printing will fail. When you remove the plastic wrap, the paper label on the top of the cartridge tears slightly, which is necessary to vent the cartridge.
8. Repeat step 4 to 7 for each ink cartridge you are replacing.
Align the cartridges when prompted to do so
10. After you load new cartridges and close the cartridge access door, the printer automatically prompts you to print an alignment page.
d. Close the lid.
e. Press OK. The product scans the alignment page.
f. Follow the control panel instructions to complete the alignment.
g. Recycle or discard the alignment page.
The alignment page did not print?
If the alignment page did not print automatically, you can align the cartridges manually from the printer software and from the printer display on the product.
To align the cartridges from the Printer Software
– In the Printer Software, click Print and Scan and then click Maintain Your Printer to access the Printer Toolbox.
– The Printer Toolbox appears.
– Click Align Printheads on the Device Services tab. The product prints an alignment sheet.
– Go to step b.