Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. Unlike other inkjet manufacturers, HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed. HP recommends that you use original HP ink cartridges.
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement ink cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the ink cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable. Use the ink-backup mode (reserve mode) to operate the HP Deskjet 5550 with only one ink cartridge. The ink-backup mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the print cartridge cradle. Printing in ink-backup mode slows the printer and affects the quality of printouts. We do not recommend using a photo print cartridge for ink-backup mode.
Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP Deskjet 5550 Printer?
For your US, European and UK HP Deskjet 5550 Printer you need
HP 56 Black AND HP 57 Tri-color cartridges.
There are also 2-Packs available, like the HP 56 / 57 Black and Tri-Color Original Value Pack Combo .
Quality color photos: For more vibrant colors when printing color photographs or other special documents, remove the black print cartridge and install an HP 58 Photo Ink Cartridge.
Replace the cartridges
2. Load plain Letter or A4 white paper in the input tray.
7. Hold the print cartridge so that the copper strips are on the bottom and facing toward the printer, and then slide the print cartridge into the cradle as shown. Always install the tri-color print cartridge in the left side of the print cartridge cradle. Install the black OR photo print cartridge in the right side of the print cartridge cradle.
9. Close the top cover. The printer automatically prints a calibration page for optimum print quality.
Calibrating print cartridges
The printer automatically calibrates the print cartridges after a new print cartridge is installed. You can also calibrate the print cartridges at other times, using the printer assistant OR the printer properties.
To calibrate print cartridges from printer properties:
– Open the file you want to print. Click File > Print, then select Properties.
– Select the Services tab.
– Click the Open the HP Toolbox button.
– Click Calibrate the Device, then follow the onscreen instructions.