Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed. HP recommends that you use original new HP ink cartridges.
You can check the estimated ink levels from the printer software, printer control panel or HP Smart.
A. To check the estimated ink levels from the printer control panel:
– From the Home screen, touch the Ink Icon (see below) to check the estimated ink levels.
B. To check the ink levels from the printer software (Windows):
– Open the HP printer software.
– In the printer software, click Estimated Levels.
C. To check the ink levels from HP Smart:
– Open HP Smart on your mobile device. The estimated ink levels for your printer appear at the top of the screen, beside the picture of the printer.
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable.
Use the single-cartridge mode to operate the HP ENVY 5070 with only one ink cartridge. The single-cartridge mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the ink cartridge carriage. During single-cartridge mode, the printer can copy documents, copy photos, and print jobs from the computer.
XL (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. They will be able to print upto three times as many pages as a regular cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with XL. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular cartridges.
Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP ENVY 5070 All-in-One Printer?
For your US HP ENVY 5070 All-in-One Printer you need HP 65 Black AND HP 65 Tri-color cartridges OR the XL versions: HP 65XL Black AND HP 65XL Tri-color cartridges.
There are also multipacks available like the HP 65 Black and Tri-color Original Ink Cartridges, 2 pack. Check the price of HP 65 cartridges at Amazon.com .
For your European or UK HP ENVY 5070 All-in-One Printer you need HP 304 Black AND HP 304 Tri-color cartridges OR the XL versions: HP 304XL Black AND HP 304XL Tri-color cartridges.
Try Amazon's ink selector tool to find compatible ink cartridges for your printer.
Replace the ink cartridges
Remove the old cartridge
3. Open the cartridge access door by placing two fingers under one or both of the small handles on the sides of the cartridge access door and then lifting it up. Wait until the print cartridge cradle is idle and silent before you continue.
4. To release the ink cartridge, lift the lid on the ink cartridge slot, then gently push the lid back until it stops. Then, pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.
– Remove the cartridge from the slot on the left to replace the tri-color cartridge.
– Remove the cartridge from the slot on the right to replace the black cartridge.
7. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer, then slide the ink cartridge forward into the slot. Then close the latch until it clicks to secure the ink cartridge into place.
– Insert the tri-color cartridge into the left slot.
– Insert the black cartridge into the right slot.
8. Repeat the previous steps to install the other ink cartridge, if needed.
Align the cartridges
– The HP printer software prompts you to align the ink cartridges when you print a document after installing a new ink cartridge. The printer automatically prints an alignment page. Wait for the alignment page to fully eject from the printer.
– Lift the product lid.
– Place the alignment page on with the printed-side down on the right-front corner of the scanner glass. See the engraved guide next to the scanner glass for help loading the alignment page.
– Close the lid, and then touch OK. The product scans the alignment page and completes the alignment process.
– After the printer aligns the ink cartridges, touch OK on the control panel.
– Discard or recycle the alignment page.
The alignment page did not print?
If the alignment page did not print automatically, you can align the cartridges manually from the printer display or the printer software.
– Touch Printer Maintenance , touch Align Cartridges, and then follow the onscreen instructions.
To align the cartridges from the printer software
– In the HP printer software, click Print & Scan, and then click Maintain Your Printer to access the Printer Toolbox.
– In Printer Toolbox, click Align Cartridges on the Device Services tab. The printer prints an alignment sheet.