Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. Unlike other inkjet manufacturers, HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed.
HP recommends that you use Original HP ink cartridges. XL (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. They will be able to print at least double the pages of a regular cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with XL. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular cartridges.
When the ink level for the print cartridge is low, a message might appear on your computer screen. You can also check the ink levels by using the software installed with the HP Allin-One. Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable. You’ll usually install both the black and tri-color cartridges in the Deskjet, but you can use the ink-backup mode to operate the HP All-in-One with only one print cartridge. The ink-backup mode is initiated when a print cartridge is removed from the print cartridge carriage. During ink-backup mode, the product can only print jobs from the computer. You cannot initiate a print job from the control panel (such as copying or scanning an original).Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP Deskjet F4280 All-in-One series Printer?
For your US HP Deskjet F4280 All-in-One series Printer you need
HP 60 or HP 60XL cartridges.
For your European or UK HP Deskjet F4280 All-in-One series Printer you need HP 300 or HP 300XL cartridges.
Replace the cartridges
1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already turned on. Wait until the product is idle and silent before continuing.
2. Load unused, plain white letter or A4-sized paper in the tray, if you have not already done so.
Remove the empty cartridge
3. Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the far right side of the printer. If the carriage does not move to the right side, turn off the printer, and then turn it on again. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before proceeding.
4. Press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull it toward you out its slot. Remove the cartridge from the slot on the left to replace the color cartridge. Remove the cartridge from the slot on the right to replace the black cartridge.
7. Hold the new cartridge by its sides. Slide the new print cartridge at a slight upward angle into the empty slot. Then gently push on the upper part of the print cartridge forward until it snaps into place. If you are installing the tri-color print cartridge, slide it into the left slot. If you are installing the black print cartridge, slide it into the right slot. Repeat these steps to replace the other cartridge, if needed.
Align the new cartridge
9. Lift the scanner lid, then place the alignment sheet on the glass so the top of the sheet is on the right side with the text facing down. Make sure that the sheet is aligned with the right-front corner of the glass.
11. Remove the alignment page from the scanner glass, and then close the scanner lid. Discard or recycle the alignment page.
The alignment page did not print?
If the printer did not print an alignment page, follow these steps to manually align the printer:
– Open HP Solution Center: All Programs, point to HP, and then click HP Solution Center.
– In HP Solution Center, click Settings, and then click Printer Toolbox. The printer Toolbox opens.
– Click the Device Services tab, and then click Align the Print Cartridges. The product prints a cartridge alignment sheet.
– Go to step 9.