Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed. HP recommends that you use original HP ink cartridges.
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement ink cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the ink cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable. Use the ink-backup mode to operate the HP Deskjet 3650 with only one ink cartridge. The ink-backup mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the print cartridge cradle. Printing in ink-backup mode slows the printer and affects the quality of printouts. We do not recommend using a photo print cartridge for ink-backup mode.
Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP Deskjet 3650 Printer?
For your US, European and UK HP Deskjet 3650 Printer you need
HP 27 Black AND HP 28 Tri-color cartridges.
There are also 2-Packs available, like the HEWC9323FN – HP C9323FN HP 27 HP 28 Ink.
Quality color photos: For more vibrant colors when printing color photographs or other special documents, remove the black print cartridge and install an HP 58 Photo Ink Cartridge.
Try Amazon's ink selector tool to find compatible ink cartridges for your printer.
Replace the ink cartridges
2. Load plain Letter or A4 white paper in the input tray.
4. Press down on the empty cartridge to release it, and then pull it toward you out its slot. Remove the cartridge from the slot on the left to replace the tri-color cartridge. Remove the cartridge from the slot on the right to replace the black (OR photo) cartridge.
5. Place the old ink cartridge in an envelope and refer to HP’s recycling instructions at http://www.hp.com/recycle .
8. Hold the print cartridge so that the copper strips are on the bottom and facing toward the printer. Slide the print cartridge firmly into the cradle at a slight upward angle until you feel resistance. The push on the upper part of the print cartridge forward until it snaps into place. If you are installing the tri-color print cartridge, slide it into the left slot. If you are installing the black Or photo print cartridge, slide it into the right slot.
Calibrating print cartridges
10. After installing a print cartridge, calibrate the print cartridges to ensure the best print quality.
– Go to printer maintenance.
– Click Calibrate Printer.
– Click Calibrate, then follow the onscreen instructions.