Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed.
HP recommends that you use original HP ink cartridges. XL (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. They will be able to print at least double the pages of a regular cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with XL. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular cartridges.
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable. You’ll usually install both the black and tri-color cartridges in the Deskjet, but you can also leave one ink cartridge carriage empty. When the product detected that only one print cartridge is installed, ink-backup mode is initiated. This printing mode lets you print with a single print cartridge, but it slows the product and affects the quality of printouts.
Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP Deskjet F4440 All-in-One series Printer?
For your US HP Deskjet F4440 All-in-One series Printer you need HP 60 OR HP 60XL cartridges. Check the price of HP 60 cartridges at Amazon.com .
For your European or UK HP Deskjet F4440 All-in-One series Printer you need HP 300 or HP 300XL cartridges.
Try Amazon's ink selector tool to find compatible ink cartridges for your printer.
Replace the ink cartridges
1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already turned on. Wait until the product is idle and silent before continuing.
2. Load unused, plain white letter or A4-sized paper in the tray, if you have not already done so.
Remove the empty cartridge
3. Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the far right side of the printer. If the carriage does not move to the right side, turn off the printer, and then turn it on again. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before proceeding.
4. Press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull it toward you out its slot. Remove the cartridge from the slot on the left to replace the color cartridge. Remove the cartridge from the slot on the right to replace the black cartridge.
7. Hold the new cartridge by its sides. Slide the new cartridge into its designated slot. The black parallelogram icon designates the slot for the black cartridge, and the magenta half circle icon designates the slot for the color cartridge. The cartridge rests in its slot at a slight upward angle. Press the cartridge to snap it into place. Repeat these steps to replace the other cartridge, if needed.
13. Remove the alignment page from the scanner glass, and then close the scanner lid. Discard or recycle the alignment page.