Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. Unlike other inkjet manufacturers, HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed.
HP recommends that you use Original HP ink cartridges. XL (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. They will be able to print at least double the pages of a regular cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with XL. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular cartridges.
You can check the ink levels by using the software installed with the HP Deskjet. The Device Status window appears each time the printer prints a file. The Ink levels section shows the approximate ink level of each print cartridge.
The left status light represents the tri-color print cartridge, which is installed in the left side of the print cartridge cradle.
– The light is on and solid when the tri-color print cartridge is low on ink.
– The light flashes when the tri-color print cartridge needs to be serviced.
The right status light represents the black OR the photo print cartridge. One of these print cartridges is installed in the right side of the print cartridge cradle.
– The light is on and solid when the black or photo print cartridge is low on ink.
– The light flashes when the black OR photo print cartridge needs to be serviced.
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. You do not have to replace the cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable. You’ll usually install both the black and tri-color cartridges in the Deskjet, but you can use the Ink-backup Printing Mode to operate the HP Deskjet with only one print cartridge. The ink-backup mode is initiated when a print cartridge is removed from the print cartridge cradle. This printing mode lets you print with a single print cartridge, but it slows the product and affects the quality of printouts. We do not recommend using the photo print cartridge for ink-backup mode.
Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP Deskjet 5740 Printer?
– Everyday printing: Use the black and tri-color print cartridges for everyday print jobs.
– Quality color photos: For more vibrant colors when printing color photographs or other special documents, remove the black print cartridge and use a photo print cartridge in combination with the tri-color print cartridge.
For your US HP Deskjet 5740 Printer you need
HP 94 Black OR HP 96 Black cartridges AND HP 95 Tri-color OR HP 97 Tri-color cartridges.
For printing photos use HP 99 Photo Original cartridges.
For your European or UK HP Deskjet 5740 Printer you need HP 338 Black OR HP 339 Black cartridges AND HP 343 Tri-color OR HP 344 Tri-color cartridges.
For printing photos use HP 348 Photo Original cartridges.
Replace the ink cartridges
4. Press down on the empty cartridge to release it, and then pull it toward you to remove it from its slot. Remove the cartridge from the slot on the left to replace the tri-color cartridge. Remove the cartridge from the slot on the right to replace the black (OR photo) cartridge.
5. Place the old ink cartridge in an envelope and refer to HP’s recycling instructions at http://www.hp.com/recycle . You can also check out Amazon’s list of recycling programs and websites that will help point you in the right direction to recycle most anything.
8. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer (HP label on top), then insert the ink cartridge into its correct slot. Slide the new ink cartridge at a slight upward angle into the empty slot, and then gently push the ink cartridge until it snaps into place. Repeat these steps to install the other ink cartridge, if necessary. Insert the tri-color ink cartridge into the left slot. Insert the black OR photo ink cartridge into the right slot.
9. Repeat steps 4 through 8 for the other cartridge if needed.
Align the ink cartridges
The printer automatically aligns the print cartridges after a new print cartridge is installed. You can also align the print cartridges at other times to ensure optimal print quality.
– Open the printer Toolbox.
– Click Align the Printer.
– Click Align, and then follow the onscreen instructions.
– Discard or recycle the alignment page.