Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed.
HP recommends that you use original HP ink cartridges. XL or X (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. The XL/X versions of the cartridges for your HP PageWide Pro 452dw will be able to print at least three times the pages of a regular A cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with X. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular A cartridges.
You can check the estimated ink levels from the printer software, from the printer control panel and from the Embedded Web Server (EWS).
To check the estimated ink levels from the printer control panel:
– On the control panel home screen, select Cartridge Information (using the “up” or “down” button, if needed), and press OK.
– Select Estimated Levels, and press OK.
Ink level alerts and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink alert, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the cartridges until you are prompted to do so. HP recommends that you replace any missing cartridges as soon as possible to avoid print quality issues. Also, to prevent print-quality problems, turn off the product by using the power button on the front only. Do not unplug the product, turn off the powerstrip, or use any other method. Never turn off the printer when ink cartridges are missing.
For your US HP PageWide Pro 452dw Printer you need an
HP 972 Black AND 3 color cartridges: HP 972 Cyan, HP 972 Magenta and HP 972 Yellow. Note that regular cartridges are marked with an A behind the cartridge number. XL cartridges have an X behind the number.
For your European or UK HP PageWide Pro 452dw Printer you need an HP 913 OR HP 973 Black Ink Cartridge. You also need 3 color cartridges: HP 913 OR HP 973 Cyan, HP 913 OR HP 973 Magenta and HP 913 OR HP 973 Yellow. Note that regular cartridges are marked with an A behind the cartridge number. XL cartridges have an X behind the number.
Try Amazon's ink selector tool to find compatible ink cartridges for your printer.
Replace the ink cartridges
Insert the new cartridge
5. Remove the new ink cartridge from its packaging. Be careful to touch only the black plastic on the cartridge. Do not touch the metal contacts on the cartridge. Fingerprints on the contacts can cause connection errors.
6. Hold the new cartridge so that the cartridge contacts face the printer. Using the color-coded letters for help, slide the ink cartridge into the empty slot until until it clicks into place and it is securely installed in the slot.
7. Repeat steps 4 through 6 for each ink cartridge you are replacing. Make sure no ink cartridge is sticking out farther than the others. If an ink cartridge is sticking out, push it until it snaps into place.
Align the printhead only if necessary.
The printer automatically aligns the printhead during the initial setup. You might want to use this feature when the printer status page shows streaking or white lines through any of the blocks of color or if you are having print quality issues with your printouts. You can align the printhead from the printer’s control panel.
From the printer control panel:
– On the control panel home screen, select Setup (using the “up” or “down” button, if needed), and press OK.
– Select Tools, and press OK.
– Select Align Printhead, and press OK.