Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed. HP recommends that you use original HP ink cartridges.
XL (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. They will be able to print 3 times as many pages as a regular cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with XL. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular cartridges.
You can check the estimated ink levels from the HP Smart app, from the printer software or from the printer control panel.
A. To check the estimated ink levels from the printer control panel.
– From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard
– Touch the Ink symbol to check the estimated ink levels.
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable.
Use the single-cartridge mode to operate the HP ENVY Inspire 7220e All-in-One printer with only one cartridge. The single-cartridge mode is initiated when an cartridge is removed from the cartridge carriage.
For your US HP ENVY Inspire 7220e All-in-One Printer you need HP 64 Black AND HP 64 Tri-color cartridges (or the HP 64 XL versions). There are also combo packs available, like the HP 64 Black and Tri-Color Original Ink Cartridges, 2 Cartridges.
For your European or UK HP ENVY Inspire 7220e All-in-One Printer you need HP 303 Black AND HP 303 Tri-color cartridges (or the HP 303 XL versions). There are also combo packs available, like the HP Z4B62EE 303 Photo Value Pack, Black and Tri-colour, Pack of 2.
4. Open the cartridge access door by placing a thumb or two fingers under the small handle on the front of the cartridge access door and then lifting it up. Wait until the print cartridge cradle is idle and silent before you continue.
5. Lightly press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull the cartridge toward you out of its slot. Set it aside for recycling.
– Remove the cartridge from the slot on the left to replace the tri-color cartridge.
– Remove the cartridge from the slot on the right to replace the black cartridge.
8. Hold the cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer, and then insert the cartridge into its slot at a slight upward angle. Make sure that the icon on the cartridge matches the icon on the slot.
– Insert the tri-color cartridge into the left slot.
– Insert the black cartridge into the right slot.
9. Repeat steps 5 through 8 to replace the other cartridge, if necessary.
Align the printhead only if necessary.
Clean the printhead if your printed output is streaked or has any incorrect or missing colors.
The printer automatically aligns the printhead during the initial setup. The printhead does not have to be realigned when cartridges are replaced. However, you might want to use this feature for print quality issues in printouts when the printer status page shows streaking or white lines through any of the blocks of color, or if you are having print quality issues with your printouts. Performing the cleaning and aligning procedures unnecessarily can waste ink and shorten the life of the cartridges.
From the printer control panel:
– Touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the
– Touch Setup
– Touch Printer Maintenance
– Select the desired option
– Follow the onscreen instructions