Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. HP recommends that you use original HP ink cartridges. XL (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. They will be able to print at least double the pages of a regular cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with XL. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular cartridges.
This icon shows the amount of ink in the ink cartridge. The color of the icon corresponds to the color of the ink cartridge, and the fill level of the icon corresponds to the fill level of the ink cartridge. Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not need to replace cartridges until prompted to do so.
Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP Officejet Pro 8500 Printer?
For your US HP Officejet Pro 8500 (A909) All-in-One Series you need HP 940 Black (XL) AND HP 940 Cyan/Magenta/Yellow (XL) cartridges. There are also Combo Packs (4 cartridges in one pack) available, like the HP 940XL Black Ink Cartridge and HP 940 Colors Standard Yield Cartridges Four Color Combo Pack. Check the price of HP 940 cartridges at Amazon.com .
For your European and UK HP Officejet Pro 8500 (A909) All-in-One Series you need HP 940 Black (XL) AND HP 940XL Cyan/Magenta/Yellow (XL) cartridges. There are also Combo Packs (4 cartridges in one pack) available, like the HP 940XL 4-pack High Yield Black/Cyan/Magenta/Yellow Original Ink Cartridges (C2N93AE).
Try Amazon's ink selector tool to find compatible ink cartridges for your printer.
Replace the ink cartridges
1. Turn the printer on by pressing the power button.
2. Pull out main input tray, load paper and slide in the input tray.
3. Gently pull open the ink cartridge cover.
4. Remove the ink cartridge that requires replacement by grasping it and pulling it firmly toward you.
5. Remove the new ink cartridge from its package. Do NOT touch the electrical contacts and ink port.
6. Align the cartridge with its color-coded slot and insert the cartridge into the slot. Press down firmly on the cartridge to ensure proper contact.
7. If more than one cartridge is low on ink, repeat the steps to insert the other cartridges.
8. Close the ink cartridge cover.
Align the printhead if necessary.
Whenever you replace a printhead, the device automatically aligns the printheads to ensure the best print quality. However, if the appearance of your printed pages indicates that the printheads are misaligned, you can start the alignment process manually. You can align the printhead from the printer’s Control Panel, from the Toolbox (Windows) or HP Utility (OS X), and from the Embedded Web server.