Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. Unlike other inkjet manufacturers, HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed. HP recommends that you use Original HP ink cartridges.
XL (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. They will be able to print at least double the pages of a regular cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with XL. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular cartridges. You’ll usually install both the black and tri-color cartridges in the HP ENVY, but you can also leave one ink cartridge carriage empty (single-cartridge mode).
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable.
Use the single-cartridge mode to operate the HP ENVY 4501 Printer with only one ink cartridge. The single-cartridge mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the ink cartridge carriage. Install both the black and tri-color cartridges in the HP ENVY 4501 to exit single-cartridge mode.
Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP ENVY 4501 e-All-in-One Printer?
For your US HP ENVY 4501 e-All-in-One Printer you need
HP 61 or HP 61XL cartridges.
For your European or UK HP ENVY 4501 e-All-in-One Printer you need HP 301 or HP 301XL cartridges.
Replace the cartridges
3. Open the scanner lid.
8. Slide the new cartridge in the slot at an angle under the opened lid, and then squeeze the lid closed as the cartridge slides into place.
– Insert the tri-color cartridge into the left slot.
– Insert the black cartridge into the right slot.
9. Repeat the previous steps to install the other cartridge, if necessary.
Align the cartridges
Aligning the cartridges ensures the high-quality output. The printer prompts you to align the cartridges every time you install a new cartridge.If you remove and reinstall the same ink cartridge, the HP All-in-One will NOT prompt you to align the ink cartridges.
– Follow the instructions on the control panel to start the cartridge alignment. The printer aligns the cartridges and prints an alignment page.
– Load the cartridge alignment sheet print side down on the right front corner of the scanner glass.
– Follow the instructions on the printer display to align the cartridges. Recycle or discard the cartridge alignment sheet.
The alignment page did not print?
If the alignment page did not print automatically, you can align the cartridges manually from the printer software and from the printer display.
A. To align the cartridges from the printer software (Windows)
– In the printer software, click Print & Scan, and then click Maintain Your Printer to access the Printer Toolbox.
– In Printer Toolbox, click Align Cartridges on the Device Services tab. The printer prints an alignment sheet.
B. To align the cartridges from the printer display.
– From the Home screen on the printer display, select Tools. If you do not see the Home screen, press the Home button.
– From the Tools menu on the printer display, select Align Printer. Follow the on-screen instructions.