Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. Unlike other inkjet manufacturers, HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed.
HP recommends that you use Original HP ink cartridges. XL (Extra Large) cartridges cost more but do provide better value in the long run. The XL versions of the cartridges for your HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 will be able to print at least double the pages of a regular cartridge. Our advice is that if you print often, go with XL. However, ink can dry up. So if you are not a frequent printer, go with the regular cartridges. You can check the estimated ink levels from the printer software or from the printer control panel.
To check the estimated ink levels from the printer control panel
– Touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Ink Icon (see below) to check the estimated ink levels.
Ink level alerts and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink alert, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the cartridges until you are prompted to do so. HP recommends that you replace any missing cartridges as soon as possible to avoid print quality issues and possible extra ink usage or damage to the ink system. Never turn off the printer when ink cartridges are missing.Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 Wide Format All-in-One Printer?
For your US HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 Wide Format All-in-One Printer you need an
HP 952 Black Ink Cartridge and 3 color cartridges: HP 952 Cyan, HP 952 Magenta and HP 952 Yellow.
There are also Combo Packs (4 cartridges in one pack) available, like the HP 952XL Black and 952 Tri-color (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) Combo Pack.
For your European or UK HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 Wide Format All-in-One Printer you need an HP 953 Black Ink Cartridge and 3 color cartridges: HP 953 Cyan, HP 953 Magenta and HP 953 Yellow.
Replace the cartridges
Remove the empty cartridge
3. Slip your fingers behind the groove on the right-hand side of the printer, and then pull forward to open the cartridge access door. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.
6. Hold the new cartridge so that the cartridge contacts face the printer. Using the color-coded letters for help, slide the ink cartridge into the empty slot until until it clicks into place and it is securely installed in the slot.
7. Repeat steps 4 through 6 for each ink cartridge you are replacing. Make sure no ink cartridge is sticking out farther than the others. If an ink cartridge is sticking out, push it until it snaps into place.
Align the printhead only if necessary.
The printer automatically aligns the printhead during the initial setup. You might want to use this feature when the printer status page shows streaking or white lines through any of the blocks of color or if you are having print quality issues with your printouts. You can align the printhead from the printer’s control panel and from printer’s software.
From the printer control panel:
– Swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon.
– Swipe up on the display, and then touch Printer Maintenance.
– Touch Align Printhead, and then touch Continue.
An alignment page prints.
From the HP printer software:
– Open the HP printer software.
– Click Print, Scan, & Fax, and then click Maintain Your Printer to access the Printer Toolbox.
– In Printer Toolbox, click Align Printheads on the Device Services tab.
The printer prints an alignment sheet.