Make sure you purchase the right ink cartridges for your specific printer and printer region or have your old ones refilled. Cartridges are not compatible between different brands, and often not within the same brand. Unlike other inkjet manufacturers, HP often designs its inkjet hardware to use country-specific consumables. When you unbox a new HP inkjet printer and set it up, you install a set of ink tanks that ship with the printer. As you turn on the device and get ready to use it, an initialization sequence localizes it to the country associated with the ink cartridges you installed. HP recommends that you use original HP ink cartridges.
You can easily check the ink supply level to determine how soon you might need to replace a print cartridge. The ink level supply shows an approximation of the amount of ink remaining in the print cartridges. Checking the ink levels can only be done from the HP Director with the HP Officejet turned on and connected. When you first installed the HP Officejet software on your computer during setup, the HP Director was automatically installed on your computer.
– From the HP Director, choose Settings, choose Print Settings, and then choose Printer Toolbox.
– Click the Estimated Ink Levels tab.
Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When you receive a low-ink warning message, consider having a replacement ink cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not have to replace the ink cartridges until the print quality is unacceptable. Don’t leave a cartridge slot empty. You must install both print cartridges in order for your HP Officejet to work.
Which ink cartridges do I need for my HP OfficeJet 4215 All-in-One Series Printer Printer?
For your US, European and UK HP OfficeJet 4215 All-in-One Series Printer you need HP 56 Black AND HP 57 Tri-color cartridges.
There are also 2-Packs available, like the HP 56 / 57 Black and Tri-Color Original Value Pack Combo.
Quality color photos: For more vibrant colors when printing color photographs or other special documents, remove the black print cartridge and install a HP 58 Photo Ink Cartridge.
Replace the cartridges
4. Press down on the empty cartridge to release it, and then pull it toward you out its slot. Remove the cartridge from the slot on the left to replace the tri-color cartridge. Remove the cartridge from the slot on the right to replace the black (OR photo) cartridge.
5. Place the old ink cartridge in an envelope and refer to HP’s recycling instructions at http://www.hp.com/recycle . You can also check out Amazon’s list of recycling programs and websites that will help point you in the right direction to recycle most anything.
8. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer (HP label on top), then insert the ink cartridge into its correct slot. Slide the new ink cartridge at a slight upward angle into the empty slot, and then gently push the ink cartridge until it snaps into place. Repeat these steps to install the other ink cartridge, if necessary. Insert the tri-color ink cartridge into the left slot. Insert the black OR photo ink cartridge into the right slot.
9. Repeat steps 4 through 8 for the other cartridge if needed.
Align the ink cartridges
– Remove the alignment page and load the top of the page face down in the document feeder tray between the paper width guides, and press OK.
– When “Alignment Complete” appears on the front panel display, the alignment is complete.
– Discard or recycle the alignment page.
The HP Officejet prompts you to align print cartridges every time you install or replace a print cartridge. You can also align the print cartridges at any time from the front panel or the HP Director. Aligning the print cartridges ensures highquality output. If you remove and reinstall the same print cartridge, the HP Officejet will not prompt you to align the print cartridges.